Friday, January 23, 2015

Back to School

Hi I am going to try to document my travels as a truck driver in the USA.  My name is Derek and I started with the CR England school in Cedar Hill, Texas on 30th December 2014.


30th December 2014.

My first task was to pass the 5 written tests which would allow me to proceed to the driving part of the test.  These first 2 were General Knowledge and Permit and these had to be passed before going on to the next 3 (Air Brakes, Tractor/Trailer and Pre-Trip). These tests were taken on 31st December 2014 and passed first time.  After this was achieved I set about learning to drive the truck both forward and backward (with a 53ft trailer attached).

After lots of practice with Dan and some very good on-road training by Juan, I felt that the transition from coaches and buses shouldn't be too hard. I finally reached my driving test appointment on 8th January 2015.

8th January 2015

My test started well with the Static Air Brake test, and this was passed. Then came the drive, and nerves kicked in, I made a stupid error as I left the test center and was failed.  A retest was scheduled for the next morning.

9th January 2015

This time I felt more confident and went through all the turns and reversing moves well.  I was out on the road about 30-40 minutes and did a variety of left and right turns, as well as reversing and highway driving. This time I passed and felt ecstatic. 

The next few day were spent finalizing the paperwork and finally I got hired on 13th January 2015.

Now on to Phase 1 of training .....

No comments:

Post a Comment